Recommended Simulations for Multi Player/User

AndrewG

I regularly host sessions for a group of friends on a UK Based Signalling Simulation and have started to try and educate one of my group on Signalsoft simulations with the subtle and distinct differences. Quite a steep learning curve but worth the effort.

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to which of the larger and/or newer simulations best lend themselves to Multi User sessions.

Advice/comments welcomed.

Supplementary question is whether there is much activity in way of open sessions hosted by the community or do these tend to be closed/private.

I regularly host sessions for a group of friends on a UK Based Signalling Simulation and have started to try and educate one of my group on Signalsoft simulations with the subtle and distinct differences. Quite a steep learning curve but worth the effort.

May I ask which UK Based Signalling Simulation you are refering to? I know about SimSig simulations, but I abandonned those a long while ago, as simply did not quite understand how it worked and it was DOS based back then.

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to which of the larger and/or newer simulations best lend themselves to Multi User sessions.

If it is really about working together, then my personal recommendation would be either Köln Hbf or Köln Hbf 2012 (two seperate sims) or Duisburg Hbf.

Why? The amount of traffic on this panels is huge, and the dispatcher has a lot to do. Is very hard to do it alone.

There are other large panels, which I also like, but those panels normally run with auto fleeting enabled. Only a few routes to be set manually if everything is in normal operation, so to speak.

Supplementary question is whether there is much activity in way of open sessions hosted by the community or do these tend to be closed/private.

Well, it is pretty hard to say if there are many closed/private sessions running, as one cannot see such activities it is setup really private.

I know there are open sessions running so now and then, but I can not tell you about the frequency.

Anyway, if you want to preview a particular simulation via Multiplayer before buying, I am more than happy to do some advertising and setup i.e. a MP session for Köln, Duisburg or whatever you like.

While we don't know about "direct" (private) sessions running in multiplayer, we know from the number of downloads and the number of plugin downloads that the multiplayer is used as expected.

Public sessions take place too, but in a lower amount (of course).

For "Multiplayer", as in one layout operated by multiple signallers, I like Cologne Hbf 2012, Essen Hbf and Duisburg Hbf very much.

For sessions with many signallers in a row (we call this "Line Operations"), the left Rhine line (Koblenz-Cologne) is interesting for 4-11 signallers. Yes you can run multiple layouts on one computer.

Sometimes I do Remagen AND Brohl and then link up to the outside world.

The D-Gerresheim, Wuppertal-Vohwinkel,Wuppertal Hbf and Wuppertal-Oberbarmen can be linked up in Line Operations and is good for 3-4 signallers with very intensive traffic.

pictures of the various panels:

www.signalsimulation.com/zoom/

Thanks for both of your comments and your offers to host a taster session. I've only introduced one friend at present and it might be a while before I am in a position to take you up on the offer. To get the most benefit I think my friends will need a better awareness of what is going on.

UK simulation we use is 'SimSig'. I think your reference to DOS based simulations might be referring to SIAM as SimSig has never been DOS based.

Multi user concepts are similar between the two and on SimSig you can have multiple users on the same simulation or you can chain several simulations together which is akin to your Line Operations. There can also be a combination of both. A relatively recent enhancement on simulations with more than one panel is that calls for the panel are just directed to the user assigned to operate it rather than the complete group. There is a good mix of Freeware/Donationware and Payware as well as a good Wiki (not as comprehensive as yours) so it might be worth revisiting some time.

Personally I prefer multiple users on the same simulation as you can see well (or badly) your fellow signallers are doing, whereas on chaining (Line Operations) you only get the shared experience with impact of delays and poor regulating experience, although I suppose Possession on a line where the two boxes fringe could be interesting.

There was some talk a while ago about a UK simulation from Signal Soft. That would be an interesting addition to the market if it comes to fruition.

both "more persons operating one layout" and "more persons operate their own layout and link up" have their sweet sides. I like both.

The MPOOL is great for teaching dispatching and spreading workload.

the MPOTOLALU is great for real life operations where incidents and train delays require a good team work over multiple layouts to get the most out of infrastructure...

just to invent new abbreviations ;-)

and yes, a UK simulation is in preparation. We've collected a great deal of info. But the devil is in the detail.