pblanksb

Route Setting To Track 524 Oberbarmen Langerfeld

pblanksb

I have train 4-11332 approaching Wuppertal Oberbarmen Langerfeld. The routing information at the bottom of the Time Table Viewer box shows 522->526->517, >11305. I routed the train to Track 522 ok, but the train does not fit entirely onto Track 522, it still occupies track w522. Because of this I cannot clear Sperrsig 522 towards Track 524, I get a warning in pink at the bottom of the screen stating "Startsignal already in use". I traied setting a route before 11332 got to Track 522 but if I set 522 - 524 and then try 652 - 522 I get a warning in pink stating "no overlap available". Is this a bug or do I just have to signal 11332 via one of the other empty tracks (519/520/521) to get to Track 526?

Regards,

Phil.

Edited by pblanksb
Incorrect signal number 517 changed to 526.

Helmut

Hi Phil,

when train 13332 stops in front of Sperrsig 522 the train is completely on track 522. But as it is a little bit long the end is still occupying the track section of the switch 531 behind and the train route cannot be released automatically. This you have to do manually by using the FHT with the button of switch 531. 

Afterwards you can set a shunt route starting at Sperrsig 522.

pblanksb

Hi Helmut,

You came to my rescue once again, many thanks. These German panels teach me something new every day.

I do find it strange though that a route cannot be set ahead of a train just because it is still occupying part of a route in rear of the train. It rarely happens in British practice, the only time I can think of the interlocking preventing a route being set is if a train entering a terminal (dead end) platform is to long to fit into the remaining empty part of the platform if another train is already in there.

Speaking of the Wuppertal signal boxes generally, did you know that the area is currently being resignalled, with Wuppertal Vohwinkel. Hbf and Gruiten boxes all to close by summer 2017? I've posted a link to an article below. I didn't know there was still a box at Gruiten as Gruiten is shown in the Vohwinkel simulation. Is this the case in real life or were Griuten and Vohwinkel combined into one simulation?

https://www.wuppertal.de/pressearchiv/meldungen-2015/juni/102370100000643733.php

Regards,

Phil.

Helmut

Hi Phil,

vor 31 Minuten schrieb pblanksb:

I do find it strange though that a route cannot be set ahead of a train just because it is still occupying part of a route in rear of the train. It rarely happens in British practice, the only time I can think of the interlocking preventing a route being set is if a train entering a terminal (dead end) platform is to long to fit into the remaining empty part of the platform if another train is already in there.

Here is the result of a longer discussion in the German forum concerning this subject:

If you set a train route to Ls 522 you also set an overlap route that you can't see on the panel. This overlap route cannot be released automatically if a train on track 522 is still occupying the switch 531 behind and the train route is still existing. And shunt route cannot be set from Ls 522 if the overlap route is still active.

If you release the train route, the overlap route is released automatically and you can use Ls 522 as start of a shunt route.

vor 39 Minuten schrieb pblanksb:

I didn't know there was still a box at Gruiten as Gruiten is shown in the Vohwinkel simulation. Is this the case in real life or were Griuten and Vohwinkel combined into one simulation?

The signal box Gruiten is remotely controlled by Wuppertal-Vohwinkel. If neccessary, I think it can be manned.

And thanks for the link to the interesting information about the current situation in Wuppertal. So by the end of next year "our" panels will be history.

pblanksb

Hi Helmut,

I did wonder why I received a "No overlap available" message when one doesn't appear on the panel with a route set to Ls 522, that answers my question. 

Ah, now I understand about Gruiten. I wonder if it is only manned if the electrical connections from Vohwinkel fail? On the London Underground some old boxes are no longer manned but their equipment is controlled remotely. Some of the boxes contain miniature lever frames and when routes are set in the supervising signalbox the levers in the unmanned box operate by compressed air. 

I'm glad you found the article on the Wuppertal resignalling interesting, yes some of our panels will be history before long. I think Oberbarmen is not affected though.  I did not realise that some of these signalboxes are as old as they are. I thought they dated from the 1980's and 1990's because their panels look more modern than the British panels of the 1970's. I did also read recently that Osnabruck signalbox, dating I believe from the 1980's, is due to be replaced soon.

Regards,

Phil.

Helmut

Hi Phil,

the number in the name Sp Dr S60 is derived from the year of development. 

First putting into operation:

• Sp Dr S 57    -     11th Nov 1956
  • Sp Dr S 59    -     10th Jan 1960
  • Sp Dr S 60    -     30th Apr 1963
  • (Sp Dr S 600  -     14th Oct 1979)

By the way, Sp Dr is the abbreviation for Spurplan-Drucktasten Stellwerk, what means in English track design (own translation) press-button signal box. The S is the abbreviation of the realizing company Siemens. You will also find an L like Sp Dr L 60. This company was C. Lorenz AG (later SEL, then Alcatel SEL) in Stuttgart.

pblanksb
10 minutes ago, Helmut said:

Hi Phil,

the number in the name Sp Dr S60 is derived from the year of development. 

First putting into operation:

• Sp Dr S 57    -     11th Nov 1956
  • Sp Dr S 59    -     10th Jan 1960
  • Sp Dr S 60    -     30th Apr 1963
  • (Sp Dr S 600  -     14th Oct 1979)

By the way, Sp Dr is the abbreviation for Spurplan-Drucktasten Stellwerk, what means in English track design (own translation) press-button signal box. The S is the abbreviation of the realizing company Siemens. You will also find an L like Sp Dr L 60. This company was C. Lorenz AG (later SEL, then Alcatel SEL) in Stuttgart.

Many thanks for this Helmut, it is very informative.

Regards,

Phil.